Saturday, November 12, 2005

November 12th - I think yesterday was one of the first Veterans' Days that passed by without me actually realizing what day it was. Of course this wasn't done on purpose, but had more to do with the numb feeling that we are all experiencing here at the office now that we are in idle mode following the November 8th election results. From what I did see on television, I saw Dick Cheney from the pulpit at Arlington delivering a moving speech about bravery, dedication, leadership, and community service---- all fitting from our Puppet Master in Chief. I did find it amusing that someone of Cheney's caliber, background and class was invited to give the primary oratory on the anniversary of silenced guns before so many fresh graves.

I got my hair cut today from a banjo-playing barber at the Patrick Henry Hotel, and it was an amazing experience because he, unabated from myself, told me why he voted for Tim Kaine and mixed up his usual Republican selection. I will tell you one thing: everything seems so simple and easy to understand and explain when you have won something. I remember feeling on the defensive on November 3rd last year after Kerry conceded. It felt cold, and I felt somehow ashamed of the work we had done in Ohio-----and rightly so considering we only gave an honest shot at a field program in the major cities and targetted suburbs; probably waging the good battle against Bush in my home county of Van Wert by using robo-dials, mail pieces, and limited television ads, and maybe... just maybe some volunteer to voter phone banking. Ahh.... how could I forget yard signs though?

So, in my continual rant, I conclude today by saying that I was glad that I came here to the "rural Southwest" and talked to Virginians, not Democrats-Republicans-or Independents, but families and friends and people. And it feels good to walk away from that on a high note.

-Next week: Tim Kaine returns to Roanoke to work, not celebrate. AND Mark Warner vacations in New Hampshire?

Watch out!

No comments: